Check out this very cool video
of Joseph Jaffe
discussing Marketing and new media as he arrives in Brussels (Belgium) for the Challenge of the I
Speaking of Joe, here's a little something I found on his blog
that I liked a lot. The first 17 statements come from a post on "preserving the status quo" by Seth Godin, but 18-30 are his:
1. "That will never work."
2. "... That said, the labor laws make it difficult for us to do a lot of the suggestions [you] put out. And we do live in a lawsuit oriented society.""
3. "Can you show me some research that demonstrates that this will work?"
4. "Well, if you had some real-world experience, then you would understand."
5. "I don't think our customers will go for that, and without them we'd never be able to afford to try this."
6. "It's fantastic, but the salesforce won't like it."
7. "The salesforce is willing to give it a try, but [major retailer] won't stock it."
8. "There are government regulations and this won't be permitted."
9. "Well, this might work for other people, but I think we'll stick with what we've got."
10. "We'll let someone else prove it works... it won't take long to catch up."
11. "Our team doesn't have the technical chops to do this."
12. "Maybe in the next budget cycle."
13. "We need to finish this initiative first."
14. "It's been done before."
15. "It's never been done before."
16. "We'll get back to you on this."
17. "We're already doing it."
18. You have to understand...this is the [insert company name here] company
19. Be patient with us.
20. We move slowly, but we'll get there.
21. You've obviously never worked in the [insert industry name here] industry
22. There just isn't enough budget for change
23. Do you have best practices to go with that?
24. No one ever got fired for putting TV on the plan (yesterday's excuse)
25. No one ever got fired for putting (traditional) Interactive on the plan (today excuse)
26. Our marketing mix modeling doesn't incorporate the approaches you're suggesting
27. Well that might work in [insert country A here], but this is [insert country B]
28. What you say is terrific, but it would just be too hard to implement
29. We need a certain amount of reach in order to be successful
30. Change is good...but not on my watch.
I think that #23 is my favorite. ;D